June 23, 2014
Grant End Date:
June 23, 2014
NewsHour Productions LLC at WETA seeks a dynamic leader with executive and journalism experience for the position of Senior Vice President and General Manager/NewsHour Productions.
Working closely with the WETA management team, the Senior Vice President and General Manager has overall P&L responsibility for the company, and will actively lead fundraising for the PBS NewsHour, manage the program’s relationships with public television stations and distributors, and develop special projects related to the news and public affairs mission. The SVP & GM will lead strategic planning for the sustainability and growth of PBS NewsHour in close collaboration with the Senior Vice President & Executive Producer. The ideal candidate will have experience leading a broadcast or journalism organization, significant sales or fundraising experience, exceptional business acumen, strong public presentation skills, and a demonstrated commitment to journalistic integrity.
NewsHour Productions LLC is the wholly-owned subsidiary of WETA formed to operate PBS NewsHour and other projects that were transferred from MacNeil/Lehrer Productions.
- Lead fundraising and organize, direct, implement and evaluate organization’s fundraising goals and strategic financial plans and initiatives ensuring fiscal integrity.
- In collaboration with WETA's fundraising departments, develop strategies and tactics to maintain and increase revenue from contributed sources, including individual donors, major gifts, foundation and government grants, and sales campaigns.
- Develop and provide strategic direction and oversight to NewsHour operations.
- Demonstrated success in leading, managing, developing and retaining a high-performing team.
- Develop, plan, implement, and track annual operations budgets.
- Serve as part of the Senior Management team in support of the overall strategic goals of WETA.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proven fundraising strategies including on-air membership campaigns, donor cultivation and underwriting.
- Experience in short and long-term financial and strategic planning.
- Knowledge of television operations.
- Knowledge of public broadcasting and public service media.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in audience research and analysis.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills with the ability to plan, follow through and complete complex projects in a timely manner. Demonstrated successes in complex project management.
- Strong financial management and budget planning skills.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize, lead, and manage staff and their work. Ability to collaborate effectively, and work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Strong understanding and application of computer technology to efficiently accomplish work, using Microsoft Office programs, email, Internet, and database management software.
- Bachelor or Master's degree in journalism, business, communications, non-profit management, or related field.CFRE (Certified Fundraising Accreditation) a plus.
- Minimum 15 years of progressively responsible senior management experience in a similar capacity.
- Experience in a public broadcasting environment preferred.